Remember that new camera I got not too long ago? I’m making progress in figuring out all its amazing capabilities…err…sort of. Anyway, I have been seeing these really cute camera strap covers on Etsy and Pinterest lately and decided to try my hand at one myself. I am very pleased with the result and decided to walk you through the process I took to create this adorable camera accessory, so you too may look fashionable while capturing memories!
Mom, do you remember these fabrics? You have an apron made out of them…and here I am using the scraps! (Something which desperately needs to happen more often because I am accumulating more fabric than I care to store!)
1. Start by measuring you camera strap. Mine measured 23.5″ x 1.5″.
2. To create my strap I added 1″ to the length and 1/2″ to the width for sewing seam allowances.
3. Cut out 2 strips with the total dimension (my pieces were 24.5″ x 2″). I chose to make each side of the strap different with the coordinating fabrics – so I cut one strip from each.
4. Fold, iron, and pin 1/4″ of each short end. Sew with a zig-zag stitch for added decorative effect.
5. With right sides together pin pieces together. Stitch with a 1/8″ seam allowance along both long sides of the strip. This will form the tube that you will slide your camera strap through.
6. Turn and press tube. Make sure you do a good job of getting the seam to lay flat and on the outside!
7. At this point I added the flower embellishment – you could really add anything that fits your style!
8. Push your camera strap through the tube – I used a safety pin attached to the end of my camera strap to assist with this step.
9. Reattach you strap to your camera and enjoy!
Sorry there are no pictures of the strap attached to my camera…but I can’t really take a picture of my camera with my camera! Hope this inspires you to dress up your own camera – would love to see pictures if you do!